Based on the government’s proposal and following consultation with the Superior Council of Defence and Security, His Excellency the President of the Republic appointed today for another year of mandate, according to article 195 of the Statute of the Military of the Armed Forces:
- Major General Lere Anan Timur as General Chief of Staff of the Armed Forces,
- Brigadier-General Filomeno da Paixão de Jesus as deputy General Chief of Staff of the Armed Forces, and
- Colonel Falur Rate Laek as Chief of Staff of the Armed Forces.
These appointments will come into force on 6 October 2016, the date on which their current term of office comes to an end. And, will be extended until October 2017.
On this occasion, the following were appointed to take over the position of Commander:
- Lieutenant Colonel Marcelino Ximenes, alias “Rizai”, Land Component Commander;
- Frigate Captain Adão de Brito, alias “Jacky”, Naval Component Commander;
- Lieutenant Colonel Celestino Pinto, alias “Daileba”, Training Component Commander;
- Lieutenant Colonel Benedito Dias Quintas, alias “Punu Fanu”, Support and Service Component Commander.
His Excellency the President of the Republic and Supreme Commander of the Armed Forces, in defence of the F-FDTL’s cohesion and prestige, is pleased that legality at military leadership level – which he advocated repeatedly – has been restored following the enactment of the amendment to the Statute of the Military of the Armed Forces (Decree Law no. 7/2014 of 12 March (Statute of the Military of the F-FDTL), amended by Decree Law no. 28/2016 of 13 July) and fulfillment of all legal procedures.
Presidential Palace of President Nicolau Lobato, 21 November 2016.